Wikipedia:Setting up your browser for Myanmar script
If you need help regarding "Myanmar in your Computer", please visit
"http://groups.google.com/group/Telugublog" NOTE this is a draft, based on the similar page on the Telugu Wikipedia.
Who should read this?[ပြင်ဆင်ရန်]
If you are unable to view or edit Burmese text on Wikipedia, this page is for you. This page contains instructions for setting up your web browser, fonts and keyboard for Burmese on common operating systems. These instructions also apply to setting up your machine for any website with Unicode Burmese content.
Configuring your system for Myanmar[ပြင်ဆင်ရန်]
While most newer versions of Microsoft Windows and GNU/Linux distributions have basic support for viewing and editing Myanmar in Unicode, they still need some configuration to get Myanmar working. There are three components critical for browsing Myanmar Unicode web pages: Font, Web Browser and Keyboard. After setting up a font and web browser, you will be able to read the articles on the Wikipedia. If you need to search, edit articles or participate in the discussion, you will need to setup your keyboard to input Myanmar text. Follow the instructions for your operating system to setup these components.
- Click the name of your Operating System from the list given below
- How to enable Indian Language Support at OS level? - has detailed (with screen shots) instructions on enabling Indian language support in Windows 2000 and Windows XP.
- Microsoft's Phonetic Input tool has support for Myanmar transliteration (like iTrans or RTS), you can download and install the tool.
- Windows users can also use Aksharamala instead.
- The following apps which feature a built-in RTS Layout can also be used in which case you will have to cut-and-paste transliterated text from the program:
- Swecha - GNU/Linux Myanmar Localization Effort - has information on setting up Myanmar support for GNU/Linux.
- Display Problems - information on Unicode site about viewing Unicode text.
- IndLinux Wiki
- Taming the Dragon - has updates on Indian language support in Mozilla and Mozilla binaries with Indian language support
- IIIMF Howto - has information on setting up IIIMF input method.
- Font Installation Howto
- Keyboard Switching in X Server Howto
- Keyboard Layout Switching in GNOME and KDE Howto
- Inscript Hindi Keymap Howto - has information on learning the Inscript Hindi keyboard layout.
- Baraha - is a free word processing application for creating documents in Indian languages.
- Aksharamala has a free edition for personal use
- Myanmartoolbar is a free plugin for Firefox browser to type in WYSIWYG fashion.
- Note: the default distribution of Firefox does not include the support for rendering the Myanmar script properly, even if the system is installed with the correct Opentype fonts; you need to install such optional Myanmar plugin for Firefox to work properly with the Myanmar script.
- IT Dept's free Myanmar Software